Download my full CV here.
Jump to sections of interest:
- Research Interests
- Awarded grants and scholarships
- Invited talks
- Conference activity / participation
- Membership in scientific societies
- Teaching experience
- Student supervision
- Biogeochemistry of natural organic matter in aquatic systems
- Analytical chemistry: organic matter characterization by spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, and chromatography
- Multivariate statistical modeling of large chemical datasets (big data & data fusion)
- Postdoc (2018-present): Chalmers University of Technology (Sweden): Improved specificity of drinking water treatment monitoring by simultaneous deconvolution of multivariate, complex chemical data sets using data fusion models.
- PhD student (2014-2017): Technical University of Denmark (Denmark): Characterization and statistical modeling of organic matter from aquatic environments. Planning and participation in three sampling campaigns spanning a total of seven weeks. Two moths spent with colleagues at the Florida State University and Oregon Health and Science University (USA).
- 2018: PhD, Technical University of Denmark, Kongens Lyngby, Denmark. Title: Resolving the chemical structures responsible for the UV-visible spectroscopic properties of dissolved organic matter in aquatic environments. Advisor: Dr. Colin A. Stedmon.
- 2014: M.Sc., Biotechnology, University of Applied Sciences Bremerhaven, Germany.
- 2011: B.Sc., Biotechnology, University of Applied Sciences Bingen, Germany.
Awarded grants and scholarships
- 2019: Åforsk Foundation (400k SEK, main applicant): Enhancing Biogeochemical Fingerprints of Natural Organic Matter with Data Fusion.
- 2019: Vinnova, Swedish Governmental Agency for Innovation Systems (474k SEK, co-applicant): An optical sensor for reducing biocide dependence in chemical manufacturing.
- 2020: Chalmers Reseach Foundation: Travel scholarship for conference participation
- 2020: Åforsk Foundation: Travel scholarship for conference participation
- 2018: National Science Foundation & National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Stipend for participation in the Dissertations Symposium in Chemical Oceanography.
- 2018: International Humic Substances Society student travel award.
- 2017: Otto Mønsted Fond. Scholarship for conference participation.
- 2015: Kaj og Hermilla Ostenfeld’s Fond. Scholarship for external research stay.
- 2018: From fluorescence to chemical composition of organic matter: Multidetector analysis of DOM. International workshop: Predicting the interactivity of dissolved organic matter across terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems (Lund, Sweden)
- 2018: Resolving the chemical structures responsible for the UV-visible spectroscopic properties of dissolved organic matter in aquatic environments, Dissertations Symposium in Chemical Oceanography (Kona, USA)
- 2018: Supramolecular organic matter assembly in light of multidetector data analyses, 19th International Conference of International Humic Substances Society (Albena Resort, Bulgaria)
- 2018: Data fusion bridges the gaps between heterogeneous environmental chemistry datasets, Three-way Methods in Chemistry and Psychology (Angel Fire, NM, USA)
- 2016: OpenFluor – A new tool in your fluorescence toolbox, webinar in cooperation with Horiba Scientific
Conference activity / participation
- 2018: Ocean Sciences Meeting. New Approaches to Opening DOM’s “Black Box” Using Its Optical and Chemical Properties.
- 2020: Emerging Patterns in the Global Distribution of Fluorescent Dissolved Organic Matter, Ocean Sciences Meeting 2020 (San Diego, USA)
- 2017: HPSEC reveals ubiquitous components in fluorescent dissolved organic matter across aquatic ecosystems, European Geosciences Union General Assembly (Vienna, Austria)
- 2017: Low Molecular Size Fraction Drives Differences in Optical Properties of Dissolved Organic Matter in Lake, Aquatic Sciences Meeting (Honolulu, USA)
- 2016: Quantum Yields of Natural Organic Matter and Organic Compounds: Implications for the Fluorescence-based Interpretation of Organic Matter Composition, Ocean Sciences Meeting (New Orleans, USA)
- 2015: aquaDOM – An open-source toolbox for determining apparent fluorescence quantum yields of dissolved organic matter, Workshop on Organic Matter Spectroscopy (Sopot, Poland)
- 2015: Relationships between fluorescence spectra in the OpenFluor database, and similarities with the spectra of pure organic compounds, NOM6 (Malmö, Sweden)
- 2014: Seasonal Chemical Variability of Dissolved Organic Matter in the Columbia River: Ultrahigh Resolution in situ Sensors and Mass Spectrometry, Aquatic Sciences Meeting (Portland, USA)
Membership in scientific societies
- 2014-present: Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO)
- 2018-present: International Humic Substances Society (IHSS)
Chalmers University of Technology
- 2018-present: Introduction to Chemistry for Civil Engineers (220 students, B.Eng.)
- 2018: Urban spaces and functions for Civil Engineers (250 students, B.Eng.).
- 2018: Workshop in multivariate statistics in cooperation with Colin A. Stedmon (DTU) and Kathleen Murphy (Chalmers)
Technical University of Denmark
- 2015-2017: Chemical Oceanography (M.Sc.).
- 2017: Introduction to Ocean Science and Technology (B.Sc).
- 2019-present: Anders Dalhoff Bruhn Jensen (PhD candidate), DTU Aqua (Denmark), role: Co-supervisor.
- 2019-present: Xianyu Kong (PhD student), Alfred Wegener Institute (Germany), role: PhD committee member
- 2018-present: Nashita Moona (PhD student), Chalmers (Sweden), role: Co-supervisor.
- 2017-2018: Anna-Ricarda Schittich (Master student), DTU Environment (Denmark), role: Supervision of laboratory work.
- Wünsch, U.J., Hawkes, J.A., 2020. Mathematical chromatography deciphers the molecular fingerprints of dissolved organic matter. Analyst.
- Pucher, M., Wünsch, U., Weigelhofer, G., Murphy, K., Hein, T., Graeber, D. (2019). staRdom: Versatile Software for Analyzing Spectroscopic Data of Dissolved Organic Matter in R. Water 11 (11), 2366.
- Moona, N., Wünsch, U.J., Bondelind, M., Bergstedt, O., Sapmaz, T., Pettersson, T.J.R., Murphy, K.R. (2019). Temperature-dependent mechanisms of DOM removal by biological activated carbon filters. Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology. 5 (12): 2232–2241.
- Wünsch, U.J., Bro, R., Stedmon, C.A., Wenig, P., Murphy K.R., 2019. Emerging patterns in the global distribution of dissolved organic matter fluorescence. Analytical Methods. Doi: 10.1039/C8AY02422G.
- Wünsch, U.J., Acar, E., Koch, B.P., Murphy K.R., Schmitt-Kopplin, P., Stedmon. C. A., 2018. The molecular fingerprint of fluorescent natural organic matter offers insight into biogeochemical sources and diagenetic state. Analytical Chemistry. 90 (24): 14188-14197.
- A.-R. Schittich, U. Wünsch, H. Kulkarni, M. Battistel, H. Bregnhøj, C. A. Stedmon and U. S. McKnight. 2018. Investigating fluorescent organic matter composition as a key predictor for arsenic mobility in groundwater aquifers. Environmental Science and Technology. 52 (22): 13027–13036.
- Wünsch, U.J., Geuer, J.K. Lechtenfeld, O.J., Koch, B.P., Murphy, K.R., Stedmon, C.A., 2018. Quantifying the impact of solid-phase extraction on chromophoric dissolved organic matter composition. Marine Chemistry. 207: 33-41
- Murphy, K.R., Timko, S., Gonsior, M., Powers, L., Wünsch, U.J., Stedmon, C.A., 2018. Photochemistry illuminates ubiquitous organic matter fluorescence spectra. Environmental Science and Technology. 52(19): 11243–11250
- Wünsch, U. J., C. A. Stedmon, L. J. Tranvik, and F. Guillemette. 2018. Unraveling the size-dependent optical properties of dissolved organic matter. Limnology and Oceanography. 63(2):588-601.
- Wünsch, U. J., K. R. Murphy, and C. A. Stedmon. 2017. The one-sample PARAFAC approach reveals molecular size distributions of fluorescent components in dissolved organic matter. Environmental Science & Technology. 51(20):11900–11908.
- Wünsch, U. J., Murphy, K. R., Stedmon, C. A., 2015 Fluorescence Quantum Yields of Natural Organic Matter and Organic Compounds: Implications for the Fluorescence-based Interpretation of Organic Matter Composition. Front. Mar. Sci. 2(98):1–15.