Download my full CV here.
Jump to sections of interest:
- Research Interests
- Awarded grants and scholarships
- Invited talks
- Conference activity / participation
- Membership in scientific societies
- Teaching experience
- Student supervision
- Biogeochemistry of natural organic matter in aquatic systems
- Biogeochemistry of enzymes
- Analytical chemistry: organic matter characterization by spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, and chromatography
- Multivariate statistical modeling of large chemical datasets (big data & data fusion)
- Since 2020. Postdoc. Technical University of Denmark, National Institute for Aquatic Resources.
- 2018-2020. Postdoc. Chalmers University of Technology, Architecture and Civil Engineering.
- 2014-2017. PhD student. Technical University of Denmark, National Institute for Aquatic Resources.
- 2018: PhD, Technical University of Denmark, Kongens Lyngby, Denmark. Title: Resolving the chemical structures responsible for the UV-visible spectroscopic properties of dissolved organic matter in aquatic environments. Advisor: Dr. Colin A. Stedmon.
- 2014: M.Sc., Biotechnology, University of Applied Sciences Bremerhaven, Germany.
- 2011: B.Sc., Biotechnology, University of Applied Sciences Bingen, Germany.
Awarded grants and scholarships
- 2019: Åforsk Foundation (400k SEK, main applicant): Enhancing Biogeochemical Fingerprints of Natural Organic Matter with Data Fusion.
- 2019: Vinnova, Swedish Governmental Agency for Innovation Systems (474k SEK, co-applicant): An optical sensor for reducing biocide dependence in chemical manufacturing.
- Carl Triggers Stiftelse 2-year postdoctoral scholarship (main author, 552k SEK).
- 2020: Chalmers Reseach Foundation: Travel scholarship for conference participation
- 2020: Åforsk Foundation: Travel scholarship for conference participation
- 2018: National Science Foundation & National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Stipend for participation in the Dissertations Symposium in Chemical Oceanography.
- 2018: International Humic Substances Society student travel award.
- 2017: Otto Mønsted Fond. Scholarship for conference participation.
- 2015: Kaj og Hermilla Ostenfeld’s Fond. Scholarship for external research stay.
- 2018: From fluorescence to chemical composition of organic matter: Multidetector analysis of DOM. International workshop: Predicting the interactivity of dissolved organic matter across terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems (Lund, Sweden)
- 2018: Resolving the chemical structures responsible for the UV-visible spectroscopic properties of dissolved organic matter in aquatic environments, Dissertations Symposium in Chemical Oceanography (Kona, USA)
- 2018: Supramolecular organic matter assembly in light of multidetector data analyses, 19th International Conference of International Humic Substances Society (Albena Resort, Bulgaria)
- 2018: Data fusion bridges the gaps between heterogeneous environmental chemistry datasets, Three-way Methods in Chemistry and Psychology (Angel Fire, NM, USA)
- 2016: OpenFluor – A new tool in your fluorescence toolbox, webinar in cooperation with Horiba Scientific
Conference activity / participation
- 2018: Ocean Sciences Meeting. New Approaches to Opening DOM’s “Black Box” Using Its Optical and Chemical Properties.
- 2020: Emerging Patterns in the Global Distribution of Fluorescent Dissolved Organic Matter, Ocean Sciences Meeting 2020 (San Diego, USA)
- 2017: HPSEC reveals ubiquitous components in fluorescent dissolved organic matter across aquatic ecosystems, European Geosciences Union General Assembly (Vienna, Austria)
- 2017: Low Molecular Size Fraction Drives Differences in Optical Properties of Dissolved Organic Matter in Lake, Aquatic Sciences Meeting (Honolulu, USA)
- 2016: Quantum Yields of Natural Organic Matter and Organic Compounds: Implications for the Fluorescence-based Interpretation of Organic Matter Composition, Ocean Sciences Meeting (New Orleans, USA)
- 2015: aquaDOM – An open-source toolbox for determining apparent fluorescence quantum yields of dissolved organic matter, Workshop on Organic Matter Spectroscopy (Sopot, Poland)
- 2015: Relationships between fluorescence spectra in the OpenFluor database, and similarities with the spectra of pure organic compounds, NOM6 (Malmö, Sweden)
- 2014: Seasonal Chemical Variability of Dissolved Organic Matter in the Columbia River: Ultrahigh Resolution in situ Sensors and Mass Spectrometry, Aquatic Sciences Meeting (Portland, USA)
Membership in scientific societies
- 2014-present: Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO)
- 2018-present: International Humic Substances Society (IHSS)
- Since 2018: Parallel Factor Analysis for DOM fluorescence (biannual course, 25 PhD students & researchers).
- 2021-present: Lecturer in M.Sc. courses “Aquatic Field work” & “Chemical Oceanography”.
- 2018-2019: Introduction to Chemistry for Civil Engineers (220 students, B.Eng.)
- 2018: Urban spaces and functions for Civil Engineers (250 students, B.Eng.).
- Since 2019: Xianyu Kong (PhD student), Alfred Wegener Institute (Germany), role: Thesis advisory committee, thesis reviewer & PhD defense member.
- Since 2019: Anders Dalhoff Bruhn Jensen (PhD candidate), DTU Aqua (Denmark), role: Co-supervisor.
- 2018-2021: Nashita Moona (PhD student), Chalmers (Sweden), role: Co-supervisor.
- 2022: Emilie Tage Andresen (B.Sc. thesis), DTU Kemi, role: Co-supervisor
- 2022: Linea Gry Ebbesen (B.Eng. thesis), DTU Sustain, role: Co-supervisor
- 2022: Synne Spjelkavik (M.Sc. special course). DTU Aqua, role: Co-supervisor
- 2021: Laila Vinther & Cecilie Hjelm Hvas Hansen (M.Sc.), DTU Sustain (Denmark), role: Co-supervisor in voluntary special course.
- 2021: Evelyn Namuga Kasule (B.Sc.), DTU Sustain (Denmark), role: Co-supervisor.
- 2020-2022: Signe Melbye Andersen (MSc.), DTU Aqua (Denmark), role: Co-supervisor.